Thursday, May 13, 2010

1st Day at Home

I awoke this morning in my own bed, which was really nice! Of course I had gotten up 3 times during the right to use the facilities, disturbing Linda each time.  But I digress…..

One of the items they sent me home with I didn’t mention was a twice a day shot requiem.  Some of you know how much I hate needles, and I tried my best to get them to change the prescription, but shots it was.  Not only shots, but given to the stomach.  Now I have a lot of room in that area, so that wasn’t a problem! The shots were a blood thinner that works much better than any other in that you don’t have to monitor it with blood tests.  But shots? The nurse thought I should do it myself, and I did the first one.  But poor Linda has been stuck doing the others.  Luckily, its only for 2 weeks, but it’s going to seem a long 2 weeks.

The first thing I looked forward to was a nice warm shower.  I had to settle for Linda doing a hand wash and hair shampoo, which was great.  I have oily skin so when I miss my showers my hair gets sticky and I don’t smell to good.  So that was a good start to the day.

About 10:00 a man delivered a VascuTherm 2 cold air machine made by Thermotek.  This machine generates a constant 43 degree flow of cold over the incision area.  I’m supposed to do a half hour on, half hour off, luckily not at night.  It’s really a cold 43 degrees.

Most of the day we just relaxed.  Linda had a chance to catch up on her sleep, and I even took a nap.  There’s not a whole lot that I can do, so I read a lot and watched some TV.  I did catch up on my emails and blog reading on the computer.  It was a bad day on TV because the Dodgers had the day off.  I finished my first book, “Treasure Trove” by Peter Turnbull.  I’ve read most of his books over the last 2 years.  He write British police procedurals set in York, England.  It’s a series staring DCI Hennessey and DS Yellich.  All are well written, and they give you insight into life in Northern England.  I’ve picked them up at the library, so if you want a good British mystery, check them out.

So that was day 1.  I did my exercises, used the cold machine, got my shots, had pizza for dinner, and gave a thank you prayer for getting through the surgery and having a wonderful wife, family, and friends.


Connie said...

Glad things are going good. Tell Linda I'll call her today or tomorrow. Love you guys.

Dkalla said...

What a great update! And so happy to hear that things are going well! I will have to make sure to check out your blog more often, with all the spare time....:-)