Monday, June 14, 2010

It’s Been Five Weeks Today

It’s been five weeks today since my surgery, and I’m feeling really good.  In fact, I’ve retired the cane! Today I rode the stationary bike for 20 minutes, going about 6 miles.  And I walked an additional 2 miles back to the condo.  I wonder how I’ll feel tomorrow.

This last week we’ve done a few things.  I’ll start with the important things, Linda got her hair cut and styled and I got a haircut.  Linda looks better than me, but then again she always does.  We also had to take Pearl in the Vet, as she’s not doing real well.  It turned out she had a urinary infection.  So we go some antibiotics and some additional pain pills for her hips.  It seems we’re all going to the Doctor for some reason.  On Wednesday evening we went to the Spring Fling dinner for the RV club in the village.  They’re a great group, but we wish we could go on a rally with them.  The timing is always wrong.  Now they’re not going anywhere until the fall. 

On Thursday Linda went out to Hemet to help Suzanne close down her room at the end of the school year.  There’s always a lot of cleaning up and putting stuff away for the Summer, and Linda was happy to help.  And she didn’t have to put up with me all day, a real dividend.

I’m volunteering in the camera digital lab as a supervisor a couple of times a month.  It’s fun to play with all of the neat computers and printers, and I might be able to help some of the other members.  And I might start printing some of my photos for our walls.

Linda is getting active in the beading club, and we’re starting to attend some of the committee meetings to find out how the village operates.  I went to a broadband meeting today that manages the cable TV network and the Internet access.  The big issue today was that they turned off two of the Spanish stations because of a change in the fee structures.  They not only wanted fees, but also wanted it retroactive 18 months, which would be over $200,000.  A lot of the residents were unhappy, but when they heard about the fees they calmed down a lot.  The cable system is included in the HOA fees, so the channel lineup is always a difficult decision and no matter what is decided, someone is going to be unhappy.

So that’s all the news lately from the Hubers.  I have been to inactive lately with the surgery, so I’m planning to step it up a bit with more hiking, and maybe some swimming.  They have 5 pools here that are real nice.  I’m only afraid that someone will make a mistake and think a whale has invaded the pool.


Dkalla said...

It sounds like you are really starting to enjoy the village, and I am thrilled to hear it! Sounds like you are really getting involved, which is an added bonus for them! I can hardly wait to see the beading and the photos on your next blog...:-) And you both are beautiful!! Keep the updates coming, I love hearing what you are up to....and thrilled to hear you are feeling so much better!!! Sorry to hear about Pearl, but man, has she really been hanging in there. Will keep you all in my prayers.

Connie said...

I'm glad you two are keeping busy. Sounds like fun. I hope Pearl gets better quickly. That makes me sad.

Jessica deBruyn said...

I'm so glad to hear how well you're healing! I'm only bummed that now that you're so close to where we used to be, we're all the way in Pittsburgh. =P Hopefully sometime you guys could get together with Mom and Dad since they're close to you too!